Last Updated: August 13, 2015
1. What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on the Site, submit comments, photographs or other materials on the Site, place an order, or participate in another Site feature or access the site via a third party website such as Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. We also may collect information from you when you provide information to an advertiser on the Site by clicking through to that advertisement.
- When signing up for, or registering to make submissions or otherwise use specific services, we may ask you for your name, e-mail address, mailing address, phone number, credit card information or other information. You may, however, view our Site without providing such information.
- When participating in certain activities, such as commenting on a particular article, participating in an online chat, participating in an online poll, or otherwise sending messages through our web site, the comments, information, thoughts or ideas you provide may be published on the Site at the sole discretion of the Post-Gazette.
- In order to comment on articles appearing on the Site you may only do so through Facebook, by first logging onto Facebook (using your Facebook user name and password) or by registering on the Site (using your email address and password.) Your use of the Facebook site is subject to Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (http://www.facebook.com/#!/legal/terms) as well as Facebook's Data Policy (http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/). If you access the Site via a website such as Facebook, we will have access to your profile information on such site. The Post-Gazette may collect any personal information regarding our visitors from Facebook as a result of such comments posted via Facebook.
- If you are an entity (such as a corporation, partnership or limited liability company) or an educational institution and you authorize your employees to access those portions of the Site that require a registration, one digital subscription will entitle each of your authorized employees to access those portions of the Site without the need for each employee to register individually, provided that such employees access such portions of the Site from a computer or other device with your institutional IP addresses for such devices that you have provided to us at the time of your registration. While these employees will not need to register to access such portions of the Site if they do so on devices with the provided IP addresses, we may gather usage data and track IP addresses from such users without their individual consent.
- We use IP addresses and session identifiers to analyze trends, to administer the Site, to track user activities, to infer user interests (including user interests in certain types of content), and to otherwise induce, deduce, and gather information about individual users and market segments.
- Like many web sites, we use "cookies" to enhance your experience and gather information about visitors and visits to our Site. Please refer to the "Do we use 'cookies'?" section below for information about cookies and how we use them.
- When subscribing to our premium pay subscription site, PG+, the Post-Gazette will ask for your credit card information. Such credit card information is processed through a third-party vendor, VeriSign Authentication Services (www.verisign.com). Once processed by VeriSign, VeriSign sends us a payment and a `token' - a 12-digit number associated with the customer, but not the credit card number that was forwarded to them. We do not store or otherwise share any such credit card information.
2. How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you register, submit comments, photographs or other materials, purchase products, visit our advertisers, surf the Site, or use other Site features in the following ways:
- To recognize you, personalize your Site experience and allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested.
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your submissions and requests
- To allow our advertisers to better tailor their products and/or services to you
- To quickly process your submissions and transactions.
- To administer blogs, chats, or other Site features.
3. Do we disclose the information we collect to outside parties?
- Comments, email and chat session participation. If you respond with information including feedback and data, such as questions, comments, suggestions, names, town of residence, or the like, such information is deemed to be non-confidential and we have no obligation of any kind with respect to such information and we are free to reproduce, use, disclose and distribute the information to any third party without limitation. We are free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques contained in such information for any purpose whatsoever including but not limited to writing and publishing articles and other materials incorporating such information.
- Non-personal information. We may use third- party advertising companies to serve ads. Such companies may also gather non-personally identifiable information about Site visitation patterns so that we can continue to improve our web site and use such information (not including your name, address, email address, or telephone number) about your visit to this web site in order to provide advertisements about goods and services that may be of interest to you.
- We may share information about your Site visitation patterns with third-party technology providers to: a) provide you with personalized articles which are related to content you visited on the Site in order to allow you to discover new content and to provide you with a social space for discussing the content on the Site; and/or b) allow our advertisers to provide you with a better, more customized experience with our advertisers’ products and/or services.
- Order information. Information provided to the Post-Gazette as part of the ordering process is not generally provided to outside parties provided that for credit card transactions, a third-party financial institution may receive the credit card number and other personal identifying information, like billing address, to verify the credit card numbers and process transactions and web site hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our Site, conducting our business, or servicing you, may have access to such information and agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our Site policies, or protect ours or others' rights, property, or safety.
4. Correction/Updating Personal Information
You can correct or update your personally identifiable information by re-registering or by contacting us by electronic-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone 412 263 1100.
In the course of serving advertisements to this Site, our third-party advertiser may place or recognize a unique “cookie” on your browser. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by this company, please click here.
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser (e.g. Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, or Apple Safari) settings. Each browser is a little different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies. If you turn cookies off, you won't have access to many features that make your Site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly.
6. Safeguarding Information
The Post-Gazette follows generally accepted industry security standards to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security and correctly use personal information. However, no commercial method of information transfer over the Internet or electronic data storage is known to be 100% secure. As a result, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of that information during its transmission or its storage in our systems.
7. Privacy and Third-Party Links
8. Online Policy Only
9. Questions and feedback
We welcome your questions, comments, and concerns about this Site. Please send any and all feedback pertaining to this Site to email@example.com.
10. Your California Privacy Rights
Under California’s "Shine the Light" law, California residents who provide personal information in obtaining products or services for personal, family or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us, once per calendar year, information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for their own direct marketing uses. If applicable, this information would include the categories of customer information and the names and addresses of those businesses with which we shared customer information for the immediately prior calendar year (e.g. requests made in 2015 will receive information regarding 2014 sharing activities).
To obtain this information from the Post-Gazette, please send an email message to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Request for California Privacy Information" on the subject line and in the body of your message. We will provide the requested information to you at your e-mail address in response. Not all information sharing is covered by the "Shine the Light" requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.