Pittsburgh, Pa.
Contact Search Subscribe Classifieds Lifestyle A & E Sports News Home
Local News Jobs  Commercial Real Estate  Opinion 
Pittsburgh Map
Place an Ad
Auto Classifieds
Today^s front page
Headlines by E-mail
The other Pennsylvanians:

Sunday, August 24, 2003

Hugh Hall was born around 1772 in Carlisle Cumberland County. He was recruited from the 2nd Infantry Company. Clark noted that he drank and was one of the more adventuresome of the party.

He was disciplined along with John Collins on June 29, 1804. Collins was charged "with getting drunk on his post this morning out of whiskey put under his Charge as a Sentinal and for Suffering Hugh Hall to draw whiskey out of the Said Barrel intended for the party." He pleaded not guilty, but was found guilty and sentenced to 100 lashes on his "bear Back."

Hall was charged with "takeing whiskey out of a Keg this morning which whiskey was Stored on the Bank (and under the Charge of the guard) Contrary to all order, rule, or regulation." He pleaded guilty was sentenced to "fifty Lashes on his bear Back."

Little is known of him after the expedition; he was in St. Louis in 1809 and was still living in 1828.

Hugh McNeal was born and raised in Pennsylvania, but was probably in Kentucky at the time of his enlistment. He was an excellent hunter and a faithful member of the expedition, according to Clark.

He is captured in an ignominious position on a woodcut made after the expedition, sitting on a tree branch above a badly rendered bear. The illustration reflects the events of July 15, 1806, when his horse was spooked by a bear.

"The horse took the allarm and turning short threw him immediately under the bear," Lewis wrote. "This animal raised himself on his hinder feet for battle, and gave him time to recover from his fall which he did in an instant and with his clubbed musquet he struck the bear over the head and cut him with the guard of the gun and broke off the breech, the bear stunned with the stroke fell to the ground and began to scratch his head with his feet; this gave McNeal time to climb a willow tree which was near at hand and thus fortunately made his escape. the bear waited at the foot of the tree untill late in the evening before he left him, when McNeal ventured down and caught his horse ... and returned to camp."

He apparently remained in the Army, for he appeared on the muster rolls in September 1811. Clark listed him as dead by 1825-28.

Peter M. Weiser was born Oct. 3, 1781, in Pennsylvania. He was of German descent. He became a member of the Corps Jan. 1, 1804. He was often a quartermaster, cook and hunter on the expedition.

After the return, he joined Colter and John Potts' party in 1807 in their expedition to the Upper Missouri. In July 1808 he was in Fort Raymond. Between 1808 and 1810 he was on the Three Forks of the Missouri, and on the Snake River.

He was killed sometime before 1825. The town of Weiser and the Weiser River in Idaho are named for him.

John Boley was probably born in Pittsburgh, but he was in Kaskaskia, Ill., at the time of his recruitment. He was one of the rowdy group that included Colter and was cited for misconduct and confined to quarters while at Camp du Bois.

On Aug. 9, 1805, he joined Zebulon Pike's expedition to the sources of the Mississippi, and in 1806 to the Rocky Mountains.

He inherited his parents' home in Missouri and was still living in October 1823. The date of his death is unknown.

E-mail this story E-mail this story  Print this story Printer-friendly page

Search |  Contact Us |  Site Map |  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Advertise |  About Us |  What's New |  Help |  Corrections
Copyright ©1997-2007 PG Publishing Co., Inc. All Rights Reserved.