Begun in 1787 in a log cabin as the Pittsburgh Academy, the University Of Pittsburgh is one of the region's leading institutions of higher learning. It is commonly referred to as "Pitt" by the locals.
In the early 1960s, it was decided to create a University Of Pittsburgh At Greensburgh (UPG) campus, which became fully realized in the early 1970s.
The UPG campus occupies the the former private estate of Commander Charles McKenna Lynch. Lynch's Tudor mansion, built in 1923 and named Starboard Light, serves as the administration building. The UPG campus now includes 219 acres and 26 buildings, including 12 residence halls. Each of the 26 buildings reflects a unified "red brick" design in the tradition of the mansion. Despite the recent growth in physical plant and student body, UPG has been careful to preserve the natural beauty of the campus. UPG is located in suburban Hempfield Township just two miles from center of the city Greensburg and approximately 30 miles southeast of the city of Pittsburgh.
Normal business hours are weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
University facilities are open at other hours during the year as classes and other activities warrant.
On-site parking is available. Parking after 4:00 p.m. is free. Before 4:00 p.m., guests should visit the Safety and Security Center for a parking pass.