Founded in 1908 by the Catholic Diocese Of Pittsburgh and the Sisters Of Charity Of Seton Hill, The DePaul School For Hearing & Speech has been providing quality auditory/oral education for hearing and speech impaired children for nearly 100 years. The goal then, as it is now, was to prepare each student for a full, enriched life of service as contributing member of society.
The school was originally known as the Pittsburgh School For The Deaf (and then as DePaul Institute) and was located in the Lappe Mansion on the North Side of Pittsburgh. Because of the school's growing population, the Pittsburgh Diocese purchased property in Mt. Lebanon and built a new facility for educational and residential programs in 1911. The DePaul School For Hearing & Speech programs grew and prospered on that site until the summer of 2003, when DePaul moved to its new location in the Shadyside area of Pittsburgh.
Today, DePaul offers clinical services and parent support programs as well as classes.
Weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and other days/times as programs need.
Free parking is available on side streets and in a parking lot across the street.