Third Presbyterian Church was organized on March 19, 1833. It was first located in downtown Pittsburgh but in 1863, the church moved to William Penn Way and by 1896, the members of Third Church voted to dispose of its city property and to construct its current building.
The church was designed by the architect Theophilus Chandler in classic French Gothic style. It was constructed during the period from 1897 to 1903. The exterior shell of the sanctuary and chapel is sandstone, all from a single quarry. Six of the windows in the sanctuary are the product of the Tiffany Studios. Louis Comfort Tiffany (1848-1933), son of the famous jeweler, is now internationally recognized as one of the greatest forces of the “Art Nouveau” style, and one who made significant contributions to the art of glassmaking.
Another feature is the large, 4-manual Moller organ located in the balcony was constructed in 1966, and contains over 6,800 pipes. The organ pipes in the front of the sanctuary were part of the original installation.
The church's seating capacity is over 1,000.
The office is open weekdays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; the church is open various other hours depending on services and events.
On-site parking is available.