Once the site of an Indian tribe village, Lawrenceville’s earliest identity was as Shannopin’s Town. The father of modern-day Lawrenceville was William Barclay Foster, who began plotting out this new community in 1814. At the same time, he sold land to the U.S. government for the construction of an arsenal, or munitions factory, to supply the Union Army during the Civil War. From the mid-1800s through the 1950s, Lawrenceville experienced industrial growth, with mills and foundries popping up along the banks of the Allegheny River. Today, you’ll find storefronts and rowhouses that are lovingly restored to their Victorian-era glory, as well as churches that serve descendents of Lawrenceville’s original residents. A growing number of these structures house arts-related businesses and organizations.
Lawrencevile's Penn Avenue Business District (also known as The Penn-Main Business District) is located along Penn Avenue from 40th Street to Friendship Avenue. The district is home to enthusiastic business owners and involved residents who work together to make Penn-Main a welcoming and interesting place.
Activities in the Penn-Main Business District are organized and managed by the Lawrenceville Corporation, a non-profit community development organization, and the Penn-Main Business Association, a committee of the Lawrenceville Corporation.
Lawrenceville has another business district on Butler Street.
Varies per business.
On-street parking is available.