A 19th century mansion turned house museum, The Baldwin-Reynolds House was the home of Supreme Court Justice Henry Baldwin (1780-1844) and, after his sudden death, that of his nephew William Reynolds (1820-1911).
The two story Greek Revival mansion is the quintessential southern home --- but one located in northwestern Pennsylvania. During William Reynolds' tenure it became the first house in the area to receive natural gas lighting. He and his wife gave the mansion a more Victorian look. Pine woodwork was removed and replaced with black walnut, parquet floors were added over the existing pine, new fireplaces, a library and solarium were added. The most extensive renovation was the addition of a full third floor for both children's' bedrooms and servants' quarters.
William's son, John Earle Reynolds (1864-1947) inherited the house and added items he discovered during his international travels.
In 1963, it was bought by the Crawford County Historical Society to be used as a history museum.
The museum is open during Spring and Fall on Saturday and Sunday, Noon to 4:00 p.m.
Parking is available on Lord Street behind the museum.