The location of Trinity Cathedral, originally a buriel ground used by Native Americans, was first bequeathed to the Episcopal and Presbyterian churches by the heirs of William Penn in 1787. (There were originally 4,000 graves, and over 2,000 have been identified). A charter was first granted to Trinity in 1805.
In 1825, Rev. John Henry Hopkins (who was a lawyer, architect, and priest), designed a Gothic structure to be erected on the site of the present church. It was brick, covered with stucco to look like stone. There was a long chancel with galleries on both sides. A spire was built with a clock, for which subscriptions were collected from the public.
The current building, a stone building with spire and clock, was built in 1872 in the architectural style called English Gothic. The spire is 200 feet tall. Columns and piers of arches are all made of red Massillon sandstone. Interior wood is white butternut or walnut. The original church pews, of hand-carved white mahogony, are still in use. Floors are of Minton's Encaustic tiles. The chancel ceiling is ultra-marine blue, decorated in gold. The chancel is panelled with richly carved wood.
Varies per event or church service.
Discounted ($1) parking is available at the Mellon Square and Smithfield garages on Sunday mornings.
Parking may be available on nearby streets and in other downtown parking garages throughout the week.