The "old" Allegheny County Prison, an historical landmark, was designed by H.H. Richardson and opened in 1884. The physical plant embodied an operational philosophy known as the "Auburn model". Instituted in New York State's Auburn Prison in the 1840's, the model's correctional philosophy was austere and stern, to give opportunity for "reflection on past deeds in silence."
It now houses the juvenile and family sections of the Common Pleas Court.
A footbridge, known as the "Bridge Of Sighs," connects the old Jail and the Courthouse.
The court itself is open weekdays. The former jail has tours at various times.
Parking garages are available nearby.