Located in a city neighborhood with the same name, Highland Park is a 380-acre city park. The land that is now the park was originally farm land until 1893 after the property had been acquired parcel by parcel. A 140-year-old farmhouse, which has been used as a park office and summer campsite, still stands.
Its main entrance is clearly marked by two bronze sculptures by Giuseppe Moretti atop Ionic columns on each side of the road. Its Stanton Avenue entrance features another Moretti pair of sculptures on grand pedestals, depicting two groups of lean, heroic youths taming wild horses.
The park, which contains two of the city's large water reservoirs, offers picnic groves, a babbling brook water feature, Lake Carnegie for fishing, the city's only long-course swimming pool, two sand volley ball courts, tennis courts, walking trails and playgrounds.
The park is also home to the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium.
The park has its own parking facilities.