The Smithfield congregation was founded in 1782, making it the oldest organized church in the city. At that time Pittsburgh was only a small village numbering around 250 people, most of whom were German. In 1787 the grandson and great grandson of William Penn gave the little congregation a deed to property on Smithfield Street. No buildings were erected on this plot, however, until 1791, because the land was so far out of town. Today it stands in the middle of the business district.
In 1812 the congregation named itself the German Evangelical Protestant Church, the first such church in the world. English was adopted as the official language in 1928. The church united with the Slavonic Congregational Church in 1960, and was federated with Smithfield United Methodist Church in 1968, at which time the name of the congregation was changed to its present use. The official affiliation with the United Methodist Church was dropped on June 1, 1994.
Today Smithfield United Church is part of the United Church Of Christ denomination and has a diverse congregation from metropolitan Pittsburgh, maintaining its original intent of freedom of thought, open mindedness and respect for different beliefs.
Varies depending on services.
Nearby Mellon Square has its own underground parking garage. For information, call (412) 323-4455.