Opened in 1909 and designed by famed architect Henry Hornbostel, the current home of the Rodef Shalom Congregation is a beautiful building constructed of local brick, handmade tiles and terra cotta. It is dominated by a handsome 90-foot dome and decorated by remarkable stained glass windows.
Rodef Shalom is the oldest Jewish Congregation in Western Pennsylvania and the largest Reform congregation in the area. It was chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1856, though its origins go back to the late 1840s. Originally comprised mainly of German Jews, the congregation grew as Eastern European Jewish immigration to the area increased. Members of Rodef Shalom have been instrumental in the development of Pittsburgh's cultural, civic and Jewish institutions.
The facility includes a sanctuary, a library, a family center and religious school.
Varies. Call for information.
On-street parking is available.