Incorporated in 1894, Carnegie is named after industrialist Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919), who donated one of his libraries for the gesture. The town has a strong blue collar heritage whose major employers were steel mills such as Superior Steel & Union Electric Steel. Carnegie had a rail yard that had connections to several railroads early in the twentieth century, including the Wabash Pittsburgh Terminal railroad, and later the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Carnegie's business district is home to shops and small offices in the small-town style of storefronts along the street with living space or businesses on the second or third floors. Many of the large stately houses along Washington Avenue have been gentrified into offices, but maintain the look and feel of the family homes they once were.
Residents and visitors often converge on the town center for festivals and other events.
Varies per business.
Metered lots on on-street parking is available.