Organized as a parish in 1908, Saint George Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral was founded primarily to serve Syrian immigrants in Pittsburgh.
Antiochian Orthodoxy is part of the communion of Eastern Orthodox Christianity that also includes Russian Orthodoxy and Greek Orthodoxy. Its name reflects the ancient city of Antioch, where the international church was once headquartered.
The church is named in honor of George (275-303 CE), a Greek nobleman and an officer in the Roman Army who lost his life protesting the imperial decree arresting every Christian soldier and every other soldier should offer a sacrifice to the Roman gods.
Most of the current church building was finished in 1959 with the domes added a few years later. The result is a handsome, contemporary structure that echoes the classic architecture of the Greco-Roman world. Inside, more than 400 local families worship, take classes and welcome the public to various community programs.
Varies; call for information.
Limited on-street parking is available.