The University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) is an integrated global nonprofit health enterprise that is closely affiliated with its academic partner, the University Of Pittsburgh.
UPMC Shadyside is a 520-bed tertiary care hospital that was once known as Shadyside Hospital.
The hospital began downtown in 1866 as Homeopathic Medical & Surgical Hospital before eventually moving to the city's Shadyside neighborhood. The present building was erected in 1972 and it became part of UPMC in 1997.
UPMC Shadyside is a handsome, redbrick building with an attractive contemporary addition that offers primary medical care; physician and nursing education; and a broad range of specialties.
Public events are often held in the Herberman Conference Center, a wing of the hospital named after Dr. Ronald Herberman, the former director of the University Of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute.
The hospital is open 24-hours a day. Some facilities, such as the conference center, may have a more limited schedule. Call for information.
Parking is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at the Aiken Avenue Parking Garage. For more information, call (412) 623-6257.