Chatham University Eden Hall Campus

6035 Ridge Road
Richland Township, PA 15044 [ map ] [ website ]
Phone: (412) 365-1183

Description

Eden Hall is a satelite campus of Chatham University, a private, non-sectarian school established in 1869.

Originally a farm and retreat for the working women of Pittsburgh, Eden Hall was the vision of Sebastian Mueller (1860-1938) who immigrated to Pittsburgh from his native Germany in 1884 to work for his cousin Henry J. Heinz in his fledgling food processing operation. During his fifty year career at Heinz, he was generous in providing female employees with medical care and financial assistance --- long before the existence of corporate health care plans or government programs. Mueller's estate, Eden Hall, became the retreat for generations of Pittsburgh's working women and served as a memorial to the Mueller's two daughters, Elsa and Alma, both of whom died in childhood.

Having no heirs, Mr. Mueller willed Eden Hall to serve as a vacation and respite destination for the working and retired women of the H.J. Heinz Company, as well as for the working women of western Pennsylvania. The Eden Hall Foundation donated the property to Chatham University in 2008.

The estate is being converted to provide classes to residences in the suburb north of Pittsburgh especially as the home the university's School Of Sustainability & The Environment. Programs at Eden Hall Campus include an environmental learning lab, initiatives in sustainability and environmental studies, food studies, landscape architecture and women's studies.

Hours of operation

Varies; call for information.

Parking

Free, on-site parking is available.

In partnership with Pittsburgh A&E Group