Saint Thomas More Church

126 Fort Couch Road
Pittsburgh, PA 15241 [ map ] [ website ]
Phone: 412-833-0031

Description

Established in 1953 --- built in 1968-1969, and recently renovated --- St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church, Family Life Center & School serves the communities in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.

It is named in honor of Thomas More (1478-1535), an English lawyer, social philosopher, author, statesman and noted Renaissance humanist. He opposed King Henry VIII's separation from the Catholic Church and refused to accept his role as head of the Church Of England. He was eventuaylly tried for treason, convicted on perjured testimony and beheaded. Today he is considered a Catholic saint.

One of the most distinctive features of Saint Thomas More Church is the windows that actually form two walls. These are not conventional stained glass, but faceted glass --- pieces of many faced colored glass set in an epoxy cement. They were designed by Hunt Studios of Pittsburgh. Each window is 17 feet high and 74 feet wide.

Hours of operation

Varies per program.

Parking

Free, on-site parking is available.

In partnership with Pittsburgh A&E Group