East Ohio functions as the main street to the city's North Side, which was once its own municipality called Allegheny City.
Formally laid out in 1788, Allegheny City grew into an industrial city with numerous commercial areas, churches, and social organizations, packing houses, tanneries, soap factories and glue factories that provided opportunities for employment to the primarily German immigrants who settled there. Allegheny City was annexed to Pittsburgh in a series of controversial moves in the early 1900s.
Today, the area has been christened Deutschtown, in reflection of its German heritage with advocacy provided by the East Allegheny Community Council.
Many of the buildings along East Ohio Street were constructed around 1900 with few changes to their historic facades. They feature restaurants, banks, specialty retailers, even an art gallery and a museum of photography.
Varies per business.
Metered, on-street parking is available along with small lots accesible via adjacent streets.