Also known as the Neville House, Woodville Plantation was the home of John Neville (1731-1803), who was an American military officer, land speculator and state official who served in the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783).
As a tax collector Neville was a central figure in the Whiskey Rebellion, a resistance movement in the 1790s during the presidency of George Washington tied with an unpopular tax that was being used to help pay the national debt.
The oldest portion of the house dates to 1775, with a main section built a decade later. After being significantly renovated by an early 19th-century resident, it remained a private house until 1975. Woodville is one of the oldest houses in Allegheny County and is now a historic house.
The central passage, dining room, kitchen, parlor and two bedrooms off the parlor have been restored, in part with complete accuracy, in part in a manner consistent with the place and period. Both informed hard work and good luck have contributed to the restoration of the house and current knowledge of its history.
The parlor has a modern Brussels carpet, woven in England to a design of the late eighteenth century, while the furniture is of the period but not of the house. The wallpaper reproduces one actually used in the parlor; the replica was out of print, but the few last rolls were discovered by chance. In the dining room the carpet and furnishings are once again not original but in keeping, while the walls are painted in a bright verdigris green popular in the late eighteenth century.
Several facilities at the museum are often rented or loaned for various events both public and private.
The grounds are open for self-guided tours Wednesday through Saturday, from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. The house is open for guided tours every Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Free, on-site parking is available.