A living, interesting bit of state history, the East Broad Top is a restored and functioning railroad line that serves as both an attraction and a museum.
The East Broad Top Railroad & Coal Company (EBT) was originally chartered on April 16, 1856 to mine and transport coal from the rich fields of Broad Top Mountain. The EBT dutifully carried coal to fuel the booming iron furnaces located in Rockhill Furnace, Pennsylvania. At Rockhill, the company built an extensive shops complex and engine house. With its steam-generated and belt-driven machinery, the EBT was almost totally self-sufficient, maintaining its rolling stock and contructing its own freight cars. As the railroad prospered, passenger service was expanded to include public excursions as well as transport of miners. In the early 1900's, the trackage and bridges were substantially rebuilt, including an early concrete arch railway bridge. In 1906 a new passenger station at Rockhill was constructed, which bears the name of the neighboring town of Orbisonia. This building also houses the company offices.
The line was abandoned in 1956. However, in the summer of 1960, the railroad was resurrected during the bicentennial of the communities of Orbisonia and Rockhill Furnace.
Today it is managed by the East Broad Top Railroad Preservation Association, which runs the line during the spring and summer each year and occassionally holds special events on the trains.
The railroad is open seasonally: every May through June, it operates Saturdays & Sundays, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Every July and August, it operates Thursday through Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Free, on-site parking is available.