St. Nicholas can trace its membership back to the turn of the century, when many of the first Greek immigrants made their way to Pittsburgh. Among them were men who were enlisted by the city's early industrialists to paint the buildings and smokestacks of the iron and steel mills.
It is named in honor of a Greek bishop named Nicholas (270-343) who was known for his miracles and his secret gift-giving --- such as putting coins in the shoes of those who left them out for him --- and thus became the model for Santa Claus, whose modern name comes from the Dutch name Sinterklaas.
The present church building was purchased in 1923. It formerly housed a Congregational (Protestant) congregation. The coincidence of the Ionian columns supporting the portico of the church pleased many of the young immigrants who thought it appropriate that a Greek church have a Greek facade.
The Cathedral often has events open to the public, especially a popular annual food festival.
A parking lot and on-street parking are available.