The University Of Pittsburgh Medical Center (UPMC) is an integrated global nonprofit health enterprise that is closely affiliated with its academic partner, the University Of Pittsburgh.
Now part of UPMC system, Montefiore Hospital was founded in 1908 by the Ladies Hospital Aid Society as a hospital for Jewish physicians and patients. It is the home to the clinical transplantation facilities originally headed by transplant pioneer Thomas Starzl and is physically connected to UPMC Presbyterian and UPMC Eye & Ear Institute by a series of pedestrian bridges.
In the 1940s, Montefiore became one of the first hospitals to use “wonder drugs” like penicillin and streptomycin and its electroencephalograph department was the first in western Pennsylvania when it opened in the 1950s.
The hospital has various meeting facilities for events such as workshops and seminars.
The hospital is open 24 hours a day.
Parking includes street parking in front of the main entrance (Terrace Street & Darragh Street) in addition to the garages on Lothrop Street. For more information, call (412) 647-3194.