Opened in 1897, Saint John The Baptist Byzantine Catholic Cathedral & Center was built to provide spiritual services for slavic people known as Carpatho-Rusins who were migrating from Eastern Europe to the Pittsburgh area.
Designed to echo traditional Eastern Orthodox churches, the cathedral is dominated by a large handsome dome on its otherwise simple structure.
The center is named in honor of John The Baptist, a mission preacher and a major religious figure who led a movement of Baptism at the Jordan River in ancient times. According to the Bible, John baptizes Jesus and was later beheaded. John is regarded as a prophet in Christianity, Islam the Bahá'í Faith and Mandaeism.
In 1981, the St. John’s Cathedral Center was opened and is one of the premiere locations in the Pittsburgh area for wedding receptions, banquets and other social functions.
Varies per event or program; call for information.
Free, on-site parking is available.