The Hollywood Theater is a beautifully restored one-screen art deco movie house.
Originally built in 1924, The Hollywood has been a popular second-run cinema since the 1940s, screening films after they have been shown in larger theaters.
In its heyday, the decor of the Hollywood was art deco and featured a small balcony. A lower level lounge beneath the lobby included overstuffed couches and easy chairs –-- and as the popularity of television increased back in the ’50’s –-- a large screen black and white tv. The rear wall of the lobby (actually the back wall of the main auditorium) was mostly glass (usually covered with a drape that could be opened to accommodate standing room crowds who could watch the film and hear the soundtrack from speakers in the lobby ceiling).
The theater began a slow decline in the 1970s. It was taken over in 2009 by Motion Picture Heritage, a group that rehabilitates and operates classic cinemas. It was taken over in 2011 by the local nonprofit, Friends Of The Hollywood Theater.
Varies per film screening or event; call for information.
Metered, on-street parking is available on Potomac Avenue and free parking is available at a nearby municipal parking lot.