Built in 1973 on the site of a former estate, the Saint Pius X Byzantine Catholic Church is a congregation that dates back to the 1950s. The church building is a work of art that also houses impressive art --- starting with a sixty-five foot bell tower with carillon bells.
Saint Pius X, born Giuseppe Melchiorre Sarto (1835-1914), was the 257th Pope of the Roman Catholic Church, serving from 1903 to 1914. He was a pastoral pope, encouraging personal piety and a lifestyle reflecting Christian values.
In the church's foyer, The Word Of God Shrine honors Saints Cyril and Methodius and depicts the parish’s ancestral roots with the national emblems of Subcarpathian-Rus’, Hungary and Croatia; the 1913 appointment of Rev. Soter Ortinsky as the first Byzantine Catholic Bishop in the United States and the canonization of Pope Pius X in 1954 --- the year St. Pius X Church was canonically established.
Ancient and modern historical references are found throughout the church to bolster faith and to enhance worship. These references are presented in multiple forms to include cultural artifacts, national flags, icons and written leaflets.
Other works include the Chapel Of Remembrance, a shrine to the modern day martyrs, confessors and witnesses of the Byzantine Catholic Church and the wodd and metal relief Tree Of Life sculpture commemorating some of the church’s recent events.
Today, the church is an all-volunteer organization that hosts a variety of community events and programs, including fundraisers, classes and support groups.
Varies; call for information.
Free, on-site parking is available.