Saint George Church is an Antiochian Orthodox community dating to the 1920s, when the first immigrants from Syria arrived in suburban Bridgeville.
Antiochian Orthodoxy is part of the communion of Eastern Orthodox Christianity that also includes Russian Orthodoxy and Greek Orthodoxy. Its name reflects the ancient city of Antioch, where the international church was once headquartered.
Completed in 1950, the church is a simple but welcoming white brick that has since expanded to include a church school and an education center.
The church is named in honor of George (275-303 CE), a Greek nobleman and an officer in the Roman Army who lost his life protesting the imperial decree arresting every Christian soldier and every other soldier should offer a sacrifice to the Roman gods.
Varies per event or program; call for information.
Free, on-site parking is available.