Also known as Hannastown, Historic Hanna's Town is an unincorporated community and important historical and archaeological site located in rural Westmoreland County.
Founded in 1773 by Robert Hanna, Historic Hanna's Town, listed on the National Register Of Historic Places, served as the first seat of Westmoreland County and held the first English courts west of the Allegheny Mountains. It played a major role in the armed conflict between Pennsylvania and Virginia for control of the area now recognized as southwestern Pennsylvania. Additionally, the town was an oasis for travelers, settlers and those seeking justice and order in the often chaotic environment of the western Pennsylvania frontier.
Hanna's Town was active in various issues associated with the Revolutionary War. It was an important center for the recruitment of militia for the western campaigns against the British and their Native Americans allies. In one of the final battles of the war, Hanna's Town was attacked and burned on July 13, 1782 by a raiding party of Indians and British. The town never recovered.
Today, a partially reconstructed village includes the reconstructed fort, courthouse/tavern, jail, a late 18th century Conestoga wagon and several relocated old log houses. Guided tours of this frontier settlement tell the story of justice and life along the frontier of western Pennsylvania and provide insight how the struggles, decisions and events in this area impacted the nation during the American Revolution.
The town is managed by the Westmoreland County Historical Society, a non-profit organization dedicated to acquiring and managing resources related to the history of Westmoreland County.
Sunday, 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday through Saturday, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Free, on-site parking is available.