Shiloh Street is a popular shopping district in the city's Mount Washington neighborhood featuring beautiful old buildings housing eclectic shops and eateries. A small "rain garden" is often used for events.
Mount Washington was founded in the early 1700's and was named for George Washington, who stood near what is now the flag pole along Grandview Avenue and offered his survey of the land and rivers below.
Later, Mt. Washington and Duquesne Heights were known as "Coal Hill" in recognition of the prosperous mines located there. Initially, German immigrants settled in the areas. Their technical and engineering skills led to the construction of four inclines from 1867 to 1877, solving the long-standing problem of transportation; two of the inclines remain standing today.
Many events and programs are coordinated through the Mount Washington Community Development Corporation.
Varies per business.
Metered, on-street parking and a parking lot are available.