The Johnstown Flood National Memorial commemorates the 2,209 people who died in the Johnstown Flood of 1889, caused by a break in the South Fork Dam. The dam was located on Lake Conemaugh, an artificial body of water located near South Fork, Pennsylvania.
There was no larger news story in the latter nineteenth century after the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. The story of the Johnstown Flood continues to fascinate: a wealthy resort, an intense storm, an unfortunate failure of a dam, the destruction of a working class city, and an inspiring relief effort.
The Johnstown Flood National Memorial preserves the remains of the dam and portions of the former Lake Conemaugh bed. The memorial has two trails that lead out to the remains of the South Fork Dam. One of the two trails takes you into the lakebed and down into the old remnants of the dam.
The memorial also has many cultural resources within its boundary: The historic South Fork Fishing & Hunting Clubhouse and the restored Unger House.
Daily, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Free, on-site parking is available.