One of downtown Pittsburgh's most distinctive and recognizable buildings, Gulf Tower is an art deco skyscraper named for the Gulf Oil Corporation, which was once one of the largest corporations in the world. Begun in 1907, Gulf Oil ceased to be an independent company in 1984 when it merged with the Standard Oil Company.
Completed in 1932, Gulf Tower is 582 feet high and has 44 floors. The crown of the skyscraper is modeled after the Mausoleum Of Halicarnassus in the style of a step pyramid. For years, the lights illuminating the crown would change based on barometric pressure to provide a weather forecast that could be seen for many miles. Today, it flashes whenever the Pittsburgh Pirates hit a home-run at PNC Park.
In addition to the building's office tenants, there is meeting space, a newsstand, ATM machine and flower shop. The building is currently managed by Grant Street Associates.
Most office tenants are open weekdays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
An underground parking garage is available at nearby Mellon Square. For information, call (412) 323-4455.