Saint James Parish is a Roman Catholic church that exists to create an environment that will encourage parishioners to become closer to God.
The parish was formally established in 1863 on a plot of land purchased from Judge John W.F. White. The church's first reverend, Father Reid, named the parish St. James The Great, after his patron saint. A small frame church was erected on the newly purchased land by the congregation, which consisted of five families and about 30 servant girls.
The cornerstone of the current church building was laid in 1967. From here, the parish staff and congregation cooridinate a number of community services, including a school and care for homebound people.
The church offices are open weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Free, on-site parking is available.