A member of the Reform Movement in Judaism, this temple has been serving Pittsburgh's eastern suburbs for half a century.
Reform Judaism affirms the fundamental principle of liberalism: that the individual will approach this body of mitzvot and minhagim in the spirit of freedom and choice.
Temple David was chartered in 1958 by 65 families. During the first two years, worship services were held in a variety of local churches, but by 1960 the membership had grown sufficiently to construct the original building. This building included a combination sanctuary/social hall, a religious school wing, a kitchen, and a lobby.
In 1980, a major addition to the building was completed. This included a new sanctuary with an artistically designed bimah and ark, a carpeted lobby, a library, a coatroom, a new Temple office, a Rabbi’s office, and some additional classrooms. Several walls in the new sanctuary are movable so that for holidays the carpeted lobby and/or the social hall (the old sanctuary) can be incorporated into the new sanctuary. In 2003, a new handicapped accessible entrance was added to the Temple. As part of this renovation, the social hall was redone, new doors were installed at the entrance of the sanctuary, the kitchen was enlarged and updated, bathroom facilities were added, and storage facilities were built.
Varies; call for information.
On-site parking is available.