The headquarters to the acclaimed Pittsburgh Opera are located in a former air brake factory in the city's Strip District.
Begun in 1939 as the Pittsburgh Opera Society, Pittsburgh Opera is the eighth oldest company in the United States and draws on a rich legacy of music-making. Among the many luminaries who have sung at Pittsburgh Opera are Luciano Pavarotti, Beverly Sills, Joan Sutherland, Sherrill Milnes and Stephanie Blythe. The company’s first conductor, Richard Karp of Vienna, led Pittsburgh Opera for nearly 40 years.
At 45,000-square-feet, the facility features offices, rehearsal spaces, costume, wig & make-up shops, and a kitchen all meeting the “multimedia” requirements of opera. The renovated is highkly energy efficient and incorporates the site’s exposed brick interiors, 150 historically accurate windows and original metal fire safes.
While full-scale operas are performed at the Benedum Center, the Pittsburgh Opera often stages concerts and other events here.
Weekdays, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Some parking is available adjacent to the building.