This school is an extension of Saint Benedict The Moor Catholic Church, an African-American community that celebrates the Gospel of Christ through the diversity seen in different traditions, cultures, and songs.
The two story brick school offers classes to children in grades 1 through 8. The building houses a classroom for each grade level, a fully updated computer lab, a chapel, a library, health room, Title 1 room, music room, and two offices. In addition the school has a multi-purpose room used as a gym, cafeteria, and assembly hall for the students.
The school has an outdoor recreation area where students can play during recess and physical education. Students enjoy basketball, jumping rope, playing hopscotch and playing football in this area.
Both the church and the school are named in honor of Benedict The Moor, also known as Benedict The Black, who was born near Messina, Italy in 1526. He was the son of Christopher and Diana Manasseri, Africans who were taken to Italy as slaves and later became Christians.
The school is normally open weekdays, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. and other times depending on the event or program.
A parking lot is available along with some on-street parking.