Community Day, an independent K-8 Jewish day school, is dedicated to educating children from a wide range of Jewish backgrounds, practices and beliefs. They nurture students' curiosity, cultivate their imagination, and advance their initiative and critical thinking skills through a student-centered approach based upon a rich, integrated curriculum of secular, Hebrew language and Jewish studies.
Community Day School was first organized in 1972 by a group of parents as a non-denominational Jewish day school. It was initially located in the old Hebrew Institute building situated at the corner of Forbes and Denniston Avenues in Squirrel Hill.
In 2004, Community Day moved to its current home, a former church and school. This location began life as St. Philomena's, which was founded in 1922 as the region's first German Catholic congregation. John T. Comes, an accomplished Gothic Revival architect in Pittsburgh, designed the church and parish buildings. Over the years two additional stories were added to the building, a new wing was designed, and a playground, constructed by the parish Men's Club completed the structure.
Community Day currently enrolls students in Grades K through 8, who come from a variety of cultural, economic and religious backgrounds. The school is the only Conservative Jewish day school in the city and appeals to a diverse and pluralistic Jewish population. Numerous students are new Americans coming from Israel, the former Soviet Union, and other countries.
Varies; call for information.
On-site parking is available.