Throughout its 234-year history, the First Presbyterian Church Of Pittsburgh has been dedicated to the mission work of Christ's church. Today, First Church supports Christ's work by more than 50 organizations and missionaries in this city, the U.S.A. and around the world, and members of the congregation are involved through prayer, volunteer work, financial contributions and/or mission service.
The First Presbyterian Church Of Pittsburgh is one of the oldest Protestant entities west of the Allegheny Mountains. Roots of Presbyterianism in Pittsburgh go back to 1758 when the British defeated the French at Fort Duquesne, at the point of Pittsburgh's three rivers. Upon this defeat, the name was changed to Fort Pitt, later to become "Pittsburg." In thanksgiving to God, a small group of Presbyterians gathered with a young Presbyterian minister (Chaplain to General Forbes), Charles Beatty, for a service of praise. This group of believers continued meeting together in residents' homes, and on April 14, 1773 their first "call" for a minister was delivered to Donegal Presbytery. Two young men, David McClure and Levi Frisbie, were supplied to serve the area and, thus, the First Presbyterian Church Of Pittsburgh was born.
In 1787, 2.5 lots of ground --- originally used as an Indian burial ground --- were deeded to the congregation by the heirs of William Penn. On this land the church's first building was constructed, using the material of the day, logs. As membership grew, the second building --- this one of yellow brick --- was erected in 1805 in a unique way. The new structure was put up around the small log church, and services could continue in the little log cabin while progress was made on the new structure! Upon completion, the logs were handed out through the windows and doors for use elsewhere in this early "frontier town." This building served until 1853 when an even larger one was erected and used for 50 years.
In 1903 the cornerstone was laid for the present church, completed in 1905 and dedicated on Palm Sunday, April 16.
The church office is open weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Located nearby, Mellon Square has its own underground parking garage. For information, call (412) 323-4455.