The Strand Theater was constructed and managed by Gioachino and Rosalia Sapienza in 1914. The building originally housed the theater and Sapienza's Fruit Market. The Strand featured silent films with live piano accompaniment as well as Vaudeville-style shows on its small stage.
The Strand thrived as a social center for Zelienople and Harmony for decades, providing a destination for these rural families to meet and enjoy a night's entertainment. However, the Strand began to struggle when multiplex cinemas began dotting the landscape and home video became more common. The theater closed in the early 1980s.
Today, the Strand is undergoing a community-led restoration to turn it into a a performing arts, education and community outreach center. It is now being opened for special events and other community programs, including fundraisers for the theater.
Varies per event; call for information.
On-street parking is available.