Shannopin Country Club was founded in 1919 on the former Jackman Farm and is named after the great Indian Chief Shannopin of the Delaware tribe who had his village on the southern bank of the Allegheny River near Washington's Crossing. Since he was said to have been gifted with eloquent speech, good sense and sincerity, the group determined that his name would be preserved for posterity in the name of their new club.
The golf course opened for play in September of 1920. The century old Jackman homestead was renovated and became the club's social center until the clubhouse was completed in September of 1922. Two tennis courts were also built in 1922 on the site of the present swimming pool, which was constructed in 1946. The original golf course was only nine holes, covering approximately the same territory as the front nine today, but an additional nine were added after the acquisition of more land.
Since those early days, Shannopin has been a growing, progressive social institution. The original clubhouse was expanded in 1964 with a major addition to the rear of the original structure, which included the main dining room, cocktail lounge and the mixed grill area adjacent to the main ballroom. In early 1979, the new entrance to the club from the members' parking lot was added. In December of 1980, a two-story addition was completed, which expanded the kitchen and provided a new bag room.
The golf course has undergone many changes over the years, including the construction in 1976 of a computerized underground watering system. Shannopin went through its most dynamic change in the early 1990's when approximately four million dollars was spent changing both the interior and exterior of the house facilities. In 1998, they added a bathhouse, course turnaround and snack bar adjacent to the swimming area.
Varies; call for information.
Free, on-site parking.