The Sarah Heinz House is a youth center offering sports, fitness, recreation, leadership, homework, and other programs for kids ages 6 to 18.
Howard Heinz, the son of HJ Heinz, a prominent Pittsburgh manufacturer, founded what would become Heinz House by starting a small boys club, the Covode House, in 1901. The Covode House provided recreation and social opportunities for boys on Pittsburgh’s North Side, almost all of whom were first generation immigrants. In 1903 girls were admitted to the house’s programs, making Heinz House a true pioneer, since girls were not admitted to the Boys & Girls Clubs nationwide until 1989.
The house known today as Sarah Heinz House was constructed in 1913, when the demand for services outgrew the space at Covode House. The house is named in honor of Howard’s mother, Sarah Sloan Young Heinz, who died in 1894. In the 1930’s, Sarah Heinz House became one of the first, or “charter” members of the national Boys & Girls Clubs Of America.
Call for information.
Parking is available in a lot off of Sixteenth Street near the 16th Street bridge.