Leet Township
  • Incorporated: 1869
  • Size (sq. miles): 1.48
  • Population1: 1,568

Originally part of Pitt Township and the Depreciation Lands, reserved for Revolutionary War veterans, it was named after Jonathan Leet, a surveyor who laid out the town of Beaver Falls.

Leet's brother, Daniel, also was a surveyor who bought several large lots in the area. Daniel Leet served on George Washington's staff during the Revolutionary War.

Gen. Alexander Hays, a Pittsburgher who named the Mexican War streets on the present-day North Side after that conflict, named his Civil War horse "Leet" after the family. One of the Leet descendants, David Shields, served as Hays' personal aide during the Civil War. After Hays died at the Battle of the Wilderness, a family friend gave his wife, Annie, a home and five acres on Big Sewickley Creek, which she named "Fair Oaks" after the battle in which her husband was promoted.

The original boundaries of the township included what are now Edgeworth, Leetsdale and part of Sewickley Heights.

After the Civil War, the residents decided to file a petition to form a separate municipality because they were upset at the level of services they received from Sewickley Township. The votes were counted at the home of Justice of the Peace John Way Jr., grandson of one of original property owners in the area, Caleb Way, a Quaker.


1 -- Source: 2000 U.S. Census