Borough of Blawnox
The land that is part of the borough was settled in the late 1700s and became part of Indiana Township in 1805. Settlement increased in 1826 after construction of the Pennsylvania Canal, and again 40 years later with the extension of the Western Pennsylvania Railroad, which ran from Blairsville to Freeport, with branches to Butler and Allegheny City.
In July 1868, the first lots were laid out in the Hoboken section of Indiana, which later became Blawnox. The relocation of the Allegheny County Workhouse and Inebriate Asylum in 1870 brought workers to the area, as did the Allegheny City Poor Farm, when it moved a year later from Millvale to 96 acres west of the workhouse.
Hoboken became part of O'Hara Township in 1875 after O'Hara separated from Indiana Township. The West Penn Railways Co. began trolley service in 1902. Ten years later, the Blaw Steel Construction Co. relocated from New Jersey to Hoboken and transformed the small rural community to an industrial town. The company merged in 1917 with the Knox Pressed and Welded Steel Co. and became Blaw-Knox Co.
The company built 150 homes and convinced Hoboken residents to change the town's name to Blawnox before it was incorporated in 1925. The mill closed in the 1980s.
In 1963, the Regional Industrial Development Corp. bought most of workhouse and poor farm property for future development. The RIDC office park is now home to dozens of businesses.
1 -- Source: 2000 U.S. Census